|The urine Dee River starts as a small spring (now under a parking lot) nearby to the eco-friendly Park Inn in blowing Rock, north Carolina. The flows typically to the southeast v western north Carolina together the Yadkin River and also is dammed in several places. Just eastern of Charlotte, NC, in ~ the confluence with the Rocky river (or the Uwharrie River, this is the subject of some debate), the takes top top the name Pee Dee River, and also is as soon as again dammed in ~ Blewett drops Lake. Listed below this impoundment, the urine Dee flows freely into southern Carolina and to Winyah Bay in ~ Georgetown.|
You are watching: Pee dee river level at pee dee
In south Carolina, the key stem of the river is known as the great Pee Dee flow to differentiate it indigenous its lot smaller tributary the little Pee Dee River. The urine Dee is a large river i m sorry flows through bottomland forests, cypress swamps, and also eventually right into the seaside flats. The extreme lower pee Dee flow flows v the an ar where rice plantations were the predominant financial engine of south Carolina prior to the polite War.
A pleasant tradition (though not true) has developed that the eminent American composer Stephen Foster (1826-1864) toured southern Carolina in 1851, and that while visiting friends at a plantation close to the to pee Dee river, became quite entranced through the natural beauty of that waterway. Consequently, he claimed that the pee Dee would appear within the text of his following song. After return to his house in Pennsylvania, he composed a item entitled, "Old Folks at Home." The first line initially did read, "Way down upon de PeDee ribber" however the music publisher (Firth, Pond, and Company) demanded the the surname be readjusted to Suwannee river.
The fact is Foster never visited southern Carolina, much less the pee Dee River. The is generally accepted that he created the text after hearing one more song, "Old urine Dee," and also wrote the quatrain that contained its name. Constantly a perfectionist, he made decision to usage an initial name the a southern river that was not taken from another song. His brothers was enlisted for the job and, after perusing a maritime atlas of north America, came upon the name Suwannee. The remainder is history! --edited indigenous the "Canoe Camping--USA" page.
|An information sheet reflecting some the the highest river levels and what to intend as the river hits every level. The greatest recorded flow level is 50.4 feet and also occurred ~ above 19 September 1945!|
|Click on any type of of the thumbnails to enlarge one image.|
|Historical marker located at Laney Landing in Cheraw. Much more information native the mite is shown below.|
|Click right here to walk to the historic pictures page for the river landing.|
River Landing Inscriptions
The information listed below is from the historical marker situated at Laney Landing top top theGreat to pee Dee river in Cheraw, SC.
|History the the River: The an excellent Pee Dee River, named for one area Indian tribe, starts in blow Rock, NC wherein it is recognized as the Yadkin. Among the longest rivers to circulation into the phibìc Atlantic, it to be a natural thoroughfare for Indians that inhabited this area. The most powerful of this Indians to be the Cheraws. The Siouan descent, they kept a well fortified village near this website on the flow hill. The Cheraws got to the height of your power about 1650. By the moment of the transformation they had actually been therefore decimated by wars and an illness that lock left here and also joined the Catawbas in north Carolina.The Indian trails were natural beginning for trade centers. Taking advantage of this, James Gillespie, in association through Christopher Gadsden that Charleston, began a trade and navigation business approximately 1740. By the 1750"s Cheraw to be an established town and the Kershaw brothers, among others, had actually stores in ~ the optimal of this hill, i m sorry was known as "Yankee Hill" for the numerous brand-new England merchants located here.The town grew slowly until around 1820 once steamboats began coming up river. Amongst the very first of these to be the "Great urine Dee" who builder and captain was Moses Rogers, command of the famous "Savannah", an initial steamship to overcome the Atlantic. Capt. Rogers died enroute come Georgetown and is buried at Old St. David"s Church, together is his friend and fellow steamship captain, Daniel Elkins.In 1822 the "Pee Dee" took 4 days and six hrs to do the round trip to Georgetown. Since Cheraw was at the head of navigable waters, the arrival of fast round-trip river traffic greatly increased Cheraw"s already important position as a regional trade center, a state which ongoing until just before the Confederate War and the arrival of the railroad. Some of the steamships to be the "Robert Martin" and also "Maid that Orleans", "Osceola", "Swan", "Anson", "Marion", "Charleston", "Columbia", and also the "Chesterfield". These were usually shallowdraft next wheelers, and also then can only run in the fall, winter, and also spring when the water was highest.The prominence of river trade started to wane with the resulting the railroads, but in 1907, the Cheraw and Georgetown Steamboat Co. Was arranged to revive flow trade. The channel was cleared, and the company purchased the "Ghio" (see pictures) and also the "Merchant". A trolley track (see a picture), beginning close to wherein the boat ramp is now, went increase the hill to warehouses in ~ the top, among which is still located across from pee Dee Baptist Church. This firm continued to operate until 1914 through a boat service every various other day. The last attempt to revive river web traffic was in 1939 when the tugboat "Helen" come up river.|
|Bridges at Cheraw: Cheraw "s more quickly bridges and ferries were located just below this sign. Kershaw"s Ferry to be in procedure for around fifty years, although no continuously. In 1796, the legislature mentioned that the ferry charge was foot passenger 4�, man and also horse 7�, wagon and team 75�, and every head of cattle 4�.By 1821. Website traffic was enough to warrant the formation of the "Cheraw bridge Company" because that the purpose of building a toll leg at Cheraw. George Hearsey to be responsible for the very first bridge, created in 1824. The building of this lattice setting bridge is thought to have been looked after by Ithiel Town, inventor the the leg truss. This bridge was lugged away by flood in 1826. Once rebuilt in 1828, the rules proclaimed that servants must have a pass to cross, users need to keep to the appropriate of center, and also no one could stop in mid-stream. Bridgetolls to be $1.00 for a exclusive four-wheel carriage drawn by 4 mules, 6 cents because that those on foot, and two cents for every hog, lamb or goat. This bridge shed in 1836.The following bridge lasted till it was melted by the Confederate army as lock retreated towards Fayetteville on march 3, 1865. A skirmish between Sherman"s development and Hardee"s rear Guard was combated on this site, complete with the only engagement that the Confederate gun watercraft "Pee Dee". The "Pee Dee" to be scuttled much less than 2 weeks later to store it from being captured, never having actually been everywhere except Cheraw. The successful burning of the bridge supposed that Sherman"s forces had to remain in Cheraw until pontoon bridges arrived, and also the flow receded from "Sherman"s Freshet."In 1866 the spanned bridge was again rebuilt, proceeding as a toll bridge till 1899 as soon as the city bought the old bridge. ~ above Aug. 26, 1908 at 12:20 in the afternoon, the leg went down in the middle of a raging flood. (See some photos of the bridges.) One section of the old spanned bridge remained on the Cheraw side. The rest. Of the leg was changed with a stole bridge, and remained in use until a new bridge was developed upriver in 1939. The last ar of the old spanned bridge melted ire the 1940"s. Continues to be of the pilings space visible just below this sign.With the disappearance of the steamships and also the building of a brand-new bridge, this area was abandoned and became a town landfill. In 1975 as a joint project of the town of Cheraw, the Cheraw Bicentennial Commission, and also the Cheraw Civitan Club, the former landfill came to be this park allowing people when again access to the mighty good Pee Dee. And also sometime if friend listen an extremely carefully you have the right to still hear the bells that an pull close steamship and also maybe view in the rising mist the zero of things lengthy past.|
|Current problem on the to pee Dee in ~ Cheraw from the nationwide Weather Service.|
See more: 413 For Cna Jobs In Fort Worth Texas, 20 Best Cna Jobs In Fort Worth, Tx (Hiring Now!)
The blue portion of the graph represents actual flow level measurements, the green section is the predicted level the the flow over the next few days.